Our skilled, experienced clinical team will work with you and your family to set up an individualized plan of care, focused on helping you do the work needed to get home and to stay well and safe after getting there. Therapy is provided at least five days per week.
Our post-acute rehabilitation specialties include recovery from: Hip, knee and shoulder fractures or joint replacements; coronary bypass, cardiac valve replacement and other heart or vascular surgeries, including (on our Manhattan campus) left ventricular assistive device placement; gastrointestinal surgeries and treatments; stroke; heart attack; pneumonia; Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD); falls; cancer treatment and infections.
The major improvement in my father’s condition has been
nothing short of a miracle and my family has your staff to thank.
We can’t wait to see him walk through the front door of his house!
– Mrs. F., Westchester
The New Jewish Home provides an array of specialists to work with you to plan and provide treatment.
- Full-time staff physicians and nurse practitioners, including board-certified internists and geriatricians
- 24-hour nursing and nursing-assistant care
- Physical, occupational, speech and audiology therapists
- Our swallowing disorders/dysphagia center provides special therapies to improve swallowing and speech capabilities impaired by serious illnesses, such as strokes.
- Nutritionists and dieticians to help assure that each patient’s diet helps recovery and promotes continuing wellness
- Full on-site pharmacy, with pharmacists experienced in elder care and rehabilitation
- Professional social workers to assist with coordinating care, getting ready for discharge home and working with the patient and family to secure any benefits the patient is entitled to
- Recreation therapists to provide enjoyable activities.
Discharge Planning & Heading Home
Our care team works to make sure each patient is prepared before discharge to continue their recovery at home.
- Helping to coordinate necessary home-care services and equipment you may need to stay well and safe at home
- Providing physical and occupational therapy to assure that you are able to perform necessary tasks at home
- Providing information and education to assure that you and your family are prepared to manage continuing rehabilitation and wellness at home
- Assisting in coordinating with community providers, such as physicians and pharmacies.
Specialty Post Acute Rehabilitation Centers
Cardiac Rehabilitation Center – Affiliated with NYU Langone Medical Center (located at our Manhattan campus)
A bridge for cardiac patients between their hospital stay and return home. An interdisciplinary team of cardiac rehabilitation specialists provides patients with the medical, rehabilitation and nursing care to reach independence and be ready for transition home.
Center for Advanced Rehabilitation Medicine – An affiliation with The Mount Sinai Hospital (located at our Manhattan campus)
A state of the art orthopedic rehabilitation program. A team of specially trained physicians, nurses, physical and occupational therapists and other clinical staff to help the patient recover and return home.
Geriatric Substance Abuse Recovery Program (located at our Manhattan campus)
Now there’s an option for older New Yorkers who need medical rehabilitation and have issues with alcohol or prescription drug use. The Jewish Home Geriatric Substance Abuse Recovery Program is the first nursing home-based in-patient substance abuse program in the United States. It is designed for older New Yorkers (60+) with substance abuse issues who need short term, post acute medical rehabilitation.